Wednesday, November 18, 2009

2300 Blog 9

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/newly-designed-swarovski-crystal-star-unveiled-for-the-2009-rockefeller-centerr-christmas-tree-70369707.html

Newly Designed Swarovski Crystal Star Unveiled for the 2009 Rockefeller Center(R) Christmas Tree – PRNewswire Nov.18

While searching through PRNewswire I found a press release about the star that will soon top the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center this holiday season. I have been listening to Christmas music since the day after Halloween. I love the holiday season and I have never minded that stores put out their holiday merchandise in October. That is why I chose to do an evaluation on this article; I will take any reason to discuss Christmas before Thanksgiving.

I thought this press release was extremely well written. It was produced by an employee of the Swarovski Company, the makers of the star. It was set in perfect pyramid fashion and despite the length I read it all. The heading read, “Newly Designed Swarovski Crystal Star Unveiled for the 2009 Rockefeller Center(R) Christmas Tree.” Although the sentence is a little long it includes every piece of important information. The Rockefeller Christmas tree is the most famous tree in the world. Swarovski is one of the most famous crystal makers in the world. To say that he made the star for the famous tree and that it is of a new design is eye catching to media outlets. The article then continues to name every dimension of the star and tree, what makes the star so special, when and where the unveiling will be and more. A reporter wouldn’t even need to contact the company for quote because three are included, unless they wanted something more specific. I personally loved hearing about how the formation of the crystal is so precise to create the perfect glitter and shine. Thinking about the star on top of that beautiful tree has caused me to start a cop of hot chocolate while writing. There was only one problem I had with the press release; it is two and a half pages long. The second page was almost completely filled with the boiler plate. It was an, “In case you don’t know here is everything about our company because we are the real focus of this release.” For me the Christmas spirit dimmed just a little while having to read over a page of boiler plate.

-Melanie Fenn

No comments:

Post a Comment